(plus, it’s gluten, dairy, soy & refined sugar free!)
There’s nothing quite like a hot fresh made matcha latte. It’s so cozy, velvety and invigorating.
Matcha has so many amazing benefits! I love that I become focused and alert without the jitters that usually come with drinking coffee (all thanks to that handy L-theanine!).
L-theanine is found in green tea, and has its highest concentration in matcha. I read recently that it helps to amplify brain waves, which leads to feeling a sense of calm alertness and heightened creativity. It’s also known to naturally reduce anxiety and blood pressure by reducing levels of stress hormones like cortisol.
Macha is also packed with antioxidants, is said to help some lose weight or burn calories, build immunity, improve skin and so much more.
Nowadays as a new mom to a baby who is seemingly ALWAYS AWAKE, I feel the need for matcha more than ever, but I don’t always have the time (or funds) to spend getting matcha lattes at fancy cafes.
I wanted to make one at home, but didn’t have all the fancy whisks and whatnot at my disposal. So after some trial and error (really not much error – it all tastes delicious!), here’s my super easy homemade matcha latte that you can make in the comfort of your own home too (but if you’d like to pretend your kitchen is a fancy cafe, who am I to stop you?), and make it with household items you already have!
What you’ll need:
- 1 tsp matcha (ceremonial grade is best!)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk alternative (I’ve been loving oat milk while breastfeeding, but I use almond milk a lot too!)
- 1 serving of @vitalproteins collagen powder (either one scoop from a container, or use one single-serve packet). This is great for gut health, hair, skin and more!
- 1 small pinch of stevia for sweetening (can be skipped if on a strict candida or sugar-free diet)
- 1 small sprinkle cinnamon for taste
- 1 blender – this one is my favorite!
What you’ll do:
- Pour water into electric hot water heater or kettle and heat until almost boiling – don’t let it get quite to the boiling stage though!
- Pour milk alternative into a mug to heat in microwave, just 30 seconds to a minute max, mainly so that it isn’t cold anymore.
- pour both the heated water and milk into your blender, or into a single serve 16 oz cup attachment (this is my favorite hack for taking matcha lattes to work!)
- add matcha, collagen peptides, stevia, and cinnamon to blender
- blend all together for about a minute or so, just until mixed and frothy.
- pour latte into a cute mug, add another sprinkle of cinnamon to top if you like, and enjoy!
Yes, you can get fancy and use all the special matcha mixing tools to make one too, but this works just as well, is super tasty and most important it’s FAST and EASY, which is key for me these days!
Want to make your own matcha latte? Enter my I LOVE YOU SO MATCHA giveaway to get your own organic matcha, Vital Proteins collagen peptides and cute mugs (total value over $60!) so you can make this quick and easy recipe in the comfort of your own home and stop spending $5+ on matchas at fancy cafes (though I will undoubtedly keep indulging in that too!).