One of the toughest times to be following a candida diet or gut-healing regimen is during the holidays. From the copious amounts of sugar, gluten, dairy and alcohol, to the many opinions and of those around the dinner table. It can be a real challenge to stick to your diet as everyone around you indulges or tries to influence you to just take one bite…
First of all, it’s important to remember that YOU ARE HUMAN, and to not beat yourself up if you do happen to indulge a bit. Every new day is a chance for a fresh start, and just because you “slipped” a bit one day doesn’t mean you need to kick yourself or start over. Just get back to that toolbox you know so well and keep going!
I personally remember feeling so overwhelmed my first holiday season as I searched for recipes that were candida-diet compliant. It was tough! Luckily many more exist now, so I’ve done the research for you and listed below a roundup of some delicious candida diet/gut health-friendly recipes for you to try this year. With these recipes, you might even turn a few of your family members into gluten/dairy/sugar-free fans themselves!
As I’ve shared in the past, I’m all about making simple swaps for healthy alternatives. I don’t believe it’s always about going cold turkey or being so black and white when looking at these foods, but that every single healthy swap you can make, even a small one, is a great step forward. That said, not all of these recipes are appropriate for the early stages of a candida diet, but all are healthier alternatives if you’re generally following a low-sugar, anti-inflammatory, low-allergen diet like the candida diet. Many in this list are gluten/grain free, dairy-free, soy-free and/or refined-sugar free, though some sugar alternatives like coconut sugar or maple syrup are included in some. As always, check with your doctor and use your own judgement as to which recipes are right for you based on where you are in your personal gut healing journey.
Knowing how stressful this time of year can be for someone healing their gut, I put together my own Holiday Gut Health Guide, just for you! The easily digestible (ha, see what I did there?) guide has healthy recipe swaps, lists of foods to enjoy & avoid, lifestyle tips and more. Get it now for a limited time!
And now for the roundup of some DELICIOUS gut healing recipes for you to enjoy this holiday season….
- Sugar-Free Eggnog Recipe (TheCandidaDiet.com)
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (healyeatsreal.com)
- Turmeric Protein Smoothie (abalancedbelly.co.uk)
- Rejuvenating rose spritzer (cookinglight.com)**
APPETIZERS & SIDES
- Roasted Squash and Apple Bisque (rickiheller.com)
- Instant Pot Creamy Curry Cauliflower Butternut Squash Soup (eatthegains.com)
- Smoky Rutabaga Hash (TheCandidaDiet.com)
- Brussels Sprouts with Shallots & Bacon — use sugar-free bacon!(MyRecipes.com)
- One Skillet Green Beans with Bacon and Garlic (Oursaltykitchen.com)
- 4-Ingredient Sugar-Free Cranberry Sauce (Wholesomeyum.com)
- Mashed Cauliflower with Rosemary (TheCandidaDiet.com)
- Sweet Potato Latkes (LexisCleanKitchen.com)
- Easy Roasted Turkey with Sage Butter (Ibreatheimhungry.com)
- Sheet Pan Roasted Garlic Turkey Breast (thekitchn.com)
- Lemon Garlic Butter Salmon with Zucchini Noodles (eatwell101.com)
- Sugar Free Carrot Cake (CandidaDietPlan.com)
- Chocolate & Pumpkin Pots-du-creme (rickiheller.com)
- Paleo Pumpkin Role Cake (Naturalandnurtured.com)
- Paleo Pumpkin Bars (WhatMollyMade.com)
- Refined Sugar-Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie (healthfulpursuit.com)
- Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding (eatthegains.com)
**Alcohol and gut healing don’t really go together (in fact it’s a bit counter-intuitive to drink alcohol while healing your gut!). That said, it’s the holidays, and we know that you may want to indulge a little. So if you’re going to drink, it’s important to limit consumption, and to have drinks that are as low-sugar as possible. Cheers!